Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Eat your heart out

As a kid in a school surrounded by people from an entirely different background from mine, I really had a hard time explaining myself.
I had a particularly difficult time saying the word “sandwich" in Arabic; at that time of course i didn’t know that the word in Arabic is the same as in English. At home I used to say it the way it is meant to be said" sandwich" and I said it in my highly appraised American accent (Whatever!!)

But at school I was confused by the different names my mates were giving it: sunddawittch... sandweesh...sainweeshé .
Usually it was only a couple of clueless girls around me who heard me say my own version of the word. But one unfortunate day in 3 grade, for some incomprehensible reason a teacher decided to ask us what we got for lunch ( I think she wanted to hog the best meal!) So when my turn came I got extremely confused and conscious and the dreadful word that came out of my mouth sounded like shhanndweesh !!!!! My mean teacher roared in laughter and so did the whole class!

2 comments:

raed said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
raed said...

isma 3aroos... wallaww :)

this also reminded me of a song by raghib alameh (an edited version ofcourse):

ya reit btordee ya riet... 3aroosit labneh tkoone
bna2otlik kam no2tit zeit... bfa2eelik kam zaytoone